Monday, May 10, 2010

The Top Ten Q & A: FoxJazelle


Foxjazelle is back on the scene with her sophomore album Boy, Girl, Whateva, now more than ever, the eyes of the GLBTQ community are looking to see how Foxxjazell’s music will respond to past controversy in the hip hop industry, and the new album undoubtedly delivers.

Coined by Tyra Banks as “America’s first transgendered hip hop artist” during an appearance on The Tyra Banks Show, Foxxjazell has experienced formidable success during her career in an industry generally plagued by homophobia. Her music continues to be featured on radio stations across the continent, and her music video for “Split Enz” recently hit number four on LOGO network’s “The Click List.”


Where did the name Foxxjazell come from? I've always identified with the Fox because of the animal's independence & beauty, and I've really like the name Jazell.....so I brought them together and created Foxxjazell.

What was your main inspiration for Boy, Girl, Whateva? It's my way of embracing and showing love for both the male and female sides of my gender identity. People get so caught up in labels and names, but if you know yourself and who you are, it doesn't matter. Take me as a boy, girl, whateva...Just know that Foxxjazell is hip-hop's first transgender rapper.

If you had to pick your favorite song on the record what would it be? All Of You... most definitely! The lyrics speak hard on the feelings of rejection that are often felt by trans girls when they're in love with a boy...something I've gone through a lot.

Who/ What was your inspiration to be a rap singer? My inspirations are broad and diverse, but then again...so am I! lol. Salt & Pepa, Madonna & the rapper T.I. inspire me and my music.

When you released your first record were you prepared to deal with being a spokesperson for the transgendered community? Most def. I didn't get in the rap game because I wanted to be the best rapper. That's not important to me -- being the best. My main focus is to convey a message and story that's not often told, especially in the world of hip hop. I'm fortunate to be able to express myself artistically, and have fans identify with the emotions, lyrics and even drama of my music.

Did you tell your parents before you decided on your transition or did you start transitioning and then thought, “It's time to tell my parents.” It's like I came out to my parents twice. At age 12, I told them that I was gay. And then when I was 16, I said, "Scratch that. I'm a trans woman." But overall, it felt like they knew before I even told them how I felt inside.

When you decided to move forward with your transition did you feel disconnected with your blood family? Did you feel more connected with your Gay Family? Initially, I felt that my blood family didn't understand my transition...they wanted me to look like the person they'd always seen. So I ran away from home at an early age and sought out a gay family that embraced me, knew the meaning of transgendered and understood what I was going through. I later reconnected with my relatives, and they're now my biggest supporters. I don't recommend for kids to run away from home -- it makes things very hard -- but it's what I did, and I don't regret it.

Was your transition a natural progression for you or did you have to fight yourself? It's a constant struggle for me because I still embrace both sides of my gender - male and female - and they impact my daily life. I talk a lot about it in my album -- notably named "Boy, Girl, Whateva".

Pick your favorite Trans Superstar? Why? I think Candis and Amanda are both Fabulous, but the transgender model Isis King from America's Next Top Model - Cycle 11 is my trans superstar. She struts with courage and ambition, and she has risen from a lot of hardship to be where she is today ... a true fighter to be admired in our community.

What’s next for Foxxjazell? I just dropped my new album Boy, Girl, Whateva with a huge album release event at Splash Bar in NYC. It's now available on iTunes and online via Foxxjazellmusic.com. I'm also really hyped about headlining the "Boy, Girl, Homoevolution" show on June 23 in San Francisco at the El Rio. It's a two-hour televised music concert and theatrical production which will feature my performance along with other out hip hop artists.

Boy, Girl, Whateva is currently available for pre-order via online music retailers worldwide. Visit www.foxxjazellmusic.com for more!

No comments: