Friday, June 4, 2010

The Top Ten Q & A: Kelis


Harlem-bred vocalist Kelis left her parents' home at 16, but continued her education at the famed Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. 2 years later with the support of producers The Neptunes, she landed herself a recording deal. In 2003 Kelis released Tasty which included the SMASH HIT "Milkshake." In 2006, her fourth album, Kelis Was Here, was released and led by the duly assertive "Bossy."

Currently her hit single “Acapella” is dominating the dance charts. Kelis has made it very clear that she isn’t going anywhere. Her next single “4th of July” hits the airwaves next month. She will be performing for all the gays at the Los Angeles Pride Celebration on Saturday, June 12, 2010 @ 6:00pm! I got a chance to talk to Kelis about her Upcoming record, her mother’s advice and L.A. Pride. Check it out!

When did you realize you wanted to pursue music as a career? When they told me they would pay me for it! ;) lol! I didn’t really have a plan, I just sang and hoped it would all sort of happen.

Who/ What inspired you to be a singer? I wasn’t really aware of inspiration until recently. I just did what was inside of me. At a young age I naturally started singing; it was a natural progression of who i was and wanted to be.

What are you currently listening to in your iPod/ mp3 player? The last record that I intentionally listened to was “Mezzanine” by Massive Attack, it’s a glorious and amazing album from beginning to end.

What can we expect from your stage show? I am pretty disorganized, my show changes constantly it’s a surprise to me as well, I have a gig tonight and I still don’t even know what I am wearing, lol.

Describe a “Kelis” experience in 5 words. Impromptu. Glitter. Loud. Fun. Shoes

If you had to pick ONE artist to sing with dead or alive who would it be? Sam Cooke, his voice is like velvet, i just love him!

What is something that drives you crazy, what is your biggest pet peeve? A loose chewer literally revolts me!

Your upcoming record Flesh Tone is slated for a 2010 release, can you tell me a bit about that project? People like to say that this is my comeback record. I don’t really look at it that way, just get ready because I didn’t “come back” I MULTIPLIED.

Mega DJ David Guetta is really HOT right now, can you tell us a bit about the track/ tracks your working on with him for your next record? One of the tracks I worked with David on is “Scream” It’s a very hard record, extremely rhythmic and the lyrics that i wrote are like a deep inhale, it takes me to another place.

What are you looking forward to most about Los Angeles Pride? That I don’t have to travel! Lol I love being home. MORE BOOKINGS IN LA PLEASE! lol This is my first LA Pride Celebration so I am pretty excited, Its going to be fun!

In a “fantasy world” if Kelis were to have a lesbian lover, who would it be and why? I would clone myself because i don’t like that many people. Lol Like my mother said, “If you’re not good company for yourself then your not good company for anyone else.”


For more information on Kelis please visit www.iamkelis.com

Los Angeles Pride Tickets on sale at www.lapride.org

No comments: